Just when it looks like the vine has given up its last fruit, another zucchini sneaks in under the radar. I thought I’d cleaned the garden out and was getting ready to till everything under when the kids ran joyfully into the house with yet another zucchini…looking up at me expectantly. ”Oh you little stinker”, I said to the zucchini.
The freezer is packed to the gills, no room for stragglers. I already made zucchini bread and chocolate zucchini cake this year, plus some extra zucchini bread for the freezer…now what? After scanning my mental scrapbook of recipes, I remembered a clipping from Martha Stewart last year and rummaged around the real scrap-pile of recipes to find it. As usual, it’s the “little stinkers” in life that push us to try something new. This recipe is a keeper, and the kids are now confident that zucchinis are magical.
Zucchini Sandwich Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine or shortening (I use Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup shredded zucchiniFrosting
- 4 ounces Tofutti Cream Cheese, 1/2 tub.
- 1/4 cup dairy-free margarine or shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350
- In a large mixing bowl, beat 1 stick of margarine with the white and brown sugars until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and water, beat again.
- In another bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, soda, powder, salt together.
- Dump the flour mixture into the margarine/sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the oats and zucchini, mix well.
- Drop 2 tablespoon sized balls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet (you may want to use cooking spray too, these were sticky for some reason) and bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before filling with frosting.
- Make the frosting by beating the margarine and cream cheese together until smooth, add the powdered sugar and vanilla, beat again until fluffy and smooth. Makes 12-14.2.2http://speedbumpkitchen.com/2012/09/zucchini-sandwich-cookies.html