Makes 24 cupcakes, one large 9 x 13 rectangular cake or two 8 inch round layers.
- 2 cups dairy-free milk
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cups oil
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cups cocoa powder ( I used Nestle)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare your cake pans by tracing and cutting out parchment paper rounds to line the bottoms and spray the pans well with oil.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, soda, baking powder and salt. My cocoa and baking soda are always lumpy, so I sift mine into the bowl through a mesh strainer to get out the lumps.
- Whisk soy and vinegar together in a medium bowl and let thicken. Then add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Carefully dump and mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Just blend until most of the lumps are out. Don’t beat the heck out of it.
- Pour batter into your prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is set and you can poke a knife into the center and it comes out clean.
- Let the cake rest for a few minutes before lifting out and cooling on a rack. Cool completely before frosting.