I kid you not. 6:20am on Sunday morning and I’m enjoying the silence and a cup of coffee, hidden away in a corner of the house while this experimental blueberry crumb cake is baking.
“Pish pish pish pish.”
A little barefoot person is coming down the stairs.
“Pish pish pish“
Shuffling into the kitchen.
Smelling the baking buckle.
“MOM!!! WHAT IS THAT AMAZING SMELL!?!”
And that was the end of quiet coffee time.
Of course he didn’t believe me when I said it was called “Blueberry Boy Bait”. And I certainly didn’t take the name seriously when I decided to bake it early in the morning during my quiet hours.
But here it is. Blueberry Boy Bait. For real.
Blueberry Boy Bait is the best named treat of all time. It’s basically a blueberry crumb cake, and this version is dairy-free, egg-free, and vegan. Use fresh blueberries in summer and frozen blueberries in the winter.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the milk, vinegar, and vanilla together and set aside to thicken.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a food processor or a large bowl. Whirl around to mix the ingredients
- Add the margarine into the dry ingredients, pulse until mixed well, or blend well by hand with a pastry cutter.
- Reserve out 1/2 cup of the crumble.
- Pour the soured milk into the rest of the crumble mix. Blend around until everything is moistened.
- Fold in the blueberries.
- Spread batter into a 9 x 9 pan.
- Sprinkle reserved crumble on top.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
If you don’t have a 9 x 9 pan (Janelle), you can use a standard 9 x 13 pan. It will just be little thinner.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry, coffeecake, dairyfree, eggfree, vegan, crumbcake