- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup water
- Mix ins: Fresh herbs, chopped olives, citrus zest, roasted garlic
- Toppings: Sesame seeds, poppy seeds, coarse salt, nigella seeds
- Combine all the dough ingredients together and knead by hand or in a mixer until smooth. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Add any mix-ins at the end.
- Cover and let the dough rise for 1 1/2 hours, until doubled in size.
- Roll the dough out into a long rectangle 10in x 20in.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with seeds and/or salt.
- Use a pizza wheel to cut into 1/2 inch strips. Twist or shape as desired.
- Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover and let rest while the oven preheats.
- Preheat oven to 425. Bake the grissini for 12-14 minutes until golden brown, and not soft. Watch them carefully at the end, they can turn from golden to burnt in a flash.