These chewy chocolate pinwheel cookies are dairy-free, egg-free, and vegan. Although they look difficult, they are very easy to make!
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Palm Oil Shortening)
- 2 T. corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 t. vanilla
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 6 ounces safe chocolate chips (Divvies or Enjoy Life)
- 2 T. dairy-free creamer (I use Silk Soy Creamer)
- Place the coconut in a food processor &chop the heck out of it. Keep chopping until it is fine.
- Using a stand mixer, or a hand mixer, cream the sugars with the shortening until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the corn syrup and water and continue mixing. It will curdle & separate for a bit, but should come back together.
- Add the chopped coconut & beat again.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, and salt together.
- Pour the flour mixture into the shortening and sugar mixture. Mix carefully until fully blended.
- Place the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap.
- Roll the dough into a large rectangle, 14 inches long and 8 inches wide.
- Slide the dough onto a baking sheet and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- While the dough chills, make the ganache by melting the chocolate chips and creamer in the microwave until melted and smooth. Do this carefully so the chocolate doesn’t burn 10 seconds at a time.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Remove the top layer of plastic wrap.
- Spread the ganache over the surface of the dough, spreading all the way to the edges.
- Starting at the bottom edge, start rolling the dough up into a long log. Use the plastic wrap underneath to help guide the dough. Don’t worry if cracks appear, just push the dough around to patch up the holes.
- Wrap the whole log up and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Slice the dough into 1/2 inch slices and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are just golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack after baking.
If you don’t have a dairy allergy, you can use unsalted butter and regular creamer in this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free cookie recipe, egg free cookie recipe, pinwheel cookies, vegan cookie recipe