Dairy-free Rice Krispies Treats are kicked up a notch to Chocolate Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats. This sweet-salty-chocolatey riff on the classic is so easy. It doesn’t take any longer than the classic and it’s so good.
- 3 T. dairy-free margarine
- 1 10-oz bag marshmallows
- 3 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3 cups broken-up pretzels
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or 4 ounces of chopped chocolate bar (I used an Enjoy Life Dark chocolate bar today).
- Flaky salt
- Prepare a square baking pan, 9 x 9 or 8 x 8, doesn’t matter. Glass, Pyrex, metal, all ok. Spray with cooking spray. My cake pan is a nice Sur La Table non-stick pan, and I don’t want to cut the treats in the pan and ruin the coating. So I make a “Parchment Belt” to lift the square out when cool. I fold a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom, letting the edges hang over the sides. That way I can lift the block of treats out before cutting.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the margarine and marshmallows, 30 seconds at a time, until they melt. Stir until smooth, heating more as needed to get all the lumps out.
- Add the cereal and pretzels and stir until coated well.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before adding the chocolate.
- Sprinkle half the chocolate over the marshmallow-cereal mixture, mix quickly so it doesn’t melt everywhere, and then dump into the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate on top and press down into the pan.
- Sprinkle with some flaky salt, cool, cut and serve.
I used Snyder’s Pretzel Snaps in this recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free dessert, no bake dessert, rice krispy treats