This little recipe comes from my girls, a creation they invented this weekend in their Easy Bake Oven. Cakes are their specialty, and they’ve created more flavors than you can imagine. Egg nog seems right for the season, and the recipe is a template for anyone considering an Easy Bake Oven for a Christmas gift. As you can see, it’s wonderfully easy to adapt Easy Bake recipes to be dairy, egg and nut-free. For the cake mix, take a look at the selections in your local grocery. Duncan Hines has a few safe options: Butter Golden is a stand by.
Cake flavors are limited only by imagination. You can change up the flavors by changing the liquid: orange juice, root beer, red soda pop. You can sprinkle in a 1/2 teaspoon of Kool-Aid powder and use plain water. Or add a few drops of food coloring or some sprinkles…and magic happens.
Easy Bake Oven Egg Nog Layer Cake
For the Cakes
- Preheat Easy Bake Oven for 20 minutes.
- Mix the batter together until most of the lumps are gone.
- Cut parchment paper rounds to fit the 2 cake pans.
- Put the parchment paper in the bottom of the cake pans and spray pan and sides with cooking spray.
- Divide the batter between the two pans.
- Bake for 12 minutes each.
- Allow cake to cool slightly before trying to remove from the pans to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- Beat the powdered sugar together with the margarine.
- Add enough Silk Nog to make a spreadable, fluffy frosting.
- Add the salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.