These dairy-free and egg-free funnel cakes are really easy to make! The batter whips up in the time it takes to heat the oil!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl that has a nice pouring spout.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until the lumps are out. Set aside while heating up the oil.
- Pour oil into large, heavy pan, about 2 inches deep. Heat the oil to 375.
- For making the funnel cakes, you can use an actual funnel or improvise with a plastic squirt bottle, a pastry bag or a ziplock with a corner cut off.
- Whatever method you use, making the cakes is pretty simple…just start squiggling the batter into the hot oil and see what happens. Let cook until golden brown and give the whole thing a flip with tongs.
- Allow to drain on paper towels, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy them hot!
I prefer to fry in “vegetable oil”, which is usually straight soybean oil, but sometimes a mix of oils. I think canola smells fishy, melted shortening is waxy, other high-smoke point oils like grapeseed oil are too expensive.
If you don’t have a dairy allergy, you can use regular milk in the recipe.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Deep Fried
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: egg free funnel cakes, dairy free funnel cakes, vegan funnel cakes, fair food