Just sugar and water, this stuff is magical. You can use the leftovers in coffee!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water 1 cup water for “stopping”
- In a small stainless steel saucepan, with tall sides, mix water and sugar until mixture feels like wet sand.
- Brush down any stray sugar crystals with wet pastry brush.
- Turn on heat to highest flame.
- Cook until rich amber. You can test the color by dabbing a bit on a white plate.
- When color is achieved, very carefully pour in one cup of water. Caramel will jump and sputter about! It is very dangerous, so have long sleeves on and prepared to step back.
- Whisk over medium heat until it the sugar is dissolved and the syrup has reduced slightly. It should be the sticky thickness of maple syrup or warm honey.