This slightly spicy Bolognese sauce is so flavorful you won’t notice it’s dairy-free, it doesn’t need parmesan!
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T. parsley
- 1/4 pound ground chuck
- 1/4 pound hot italian sausage (Like the Bob Evans tube kind)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8 white or porcini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- Salt, pepper, pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup water
- Saute onions, carrots & celery in a medium saucepan on medium heat in the olive oil until soft.
- Add the garlic and saute 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add meat & parsley, cook until meat is browned.
- Add mushrooms & wine, crank the heat to high and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, turn the heat to low.
- Add salt, pepper, nutmeg & water.
- Let simmer, covered for an hour.
- Add more salt as needed to taste and finish off with another pinch of fresh parsley.
I use Bob Evan’s hot Italian sausage. It comes in 1 pound tubes, so I quadruple this recipe and freeze the rest for later.
- Category: Pasta Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: bolognese sauce, spicy meat sauce, dairy free meat sauce