This dairy-free and egg-free Irish soda bread is a slightly sweet quick bread that comes together in snap.
- Preheat oven to 375 and get some boiling water on the raisins.
- In a food processor, add the dry ingredients to the bowl and pulse to mix. Then add the margarine and pulse until mixed well. (This can also be done by hand in a large mixing bowl with a pastry cutter).
- Dump the mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the drained raisins, stir into the flour mixture, and then the thickened dairy-free milk. Blend carefully.
- Dump the dough on to a parchment-line baking sheet, or cast iron skillet. Shape into a mound, slash with an “X” in the top.
- Sprinkle with sugar, unless you’re feeling like a mean mom.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden brown on top, and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Cool and enjoy! This is best on the first day, but still great toasted with marmalade on day 2.
I’ve fallen in love with Country Crock Plant Butter sticks, the olive oil variety is my favorite.
You can make a savory variety, by cutting out the sugar, and using fresh herbs like thyme, dill, parsley with a sprinkling of salt on top.
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Irish
Keywords: irish soda bread, spotted dog, vegan irish soda bread