This is a dairy-free and egg-free adaptation of The Cake Layer of the Milk Bar Birthday Cake, it also happens to be vegan. Make sure you’re using a 1/4 sheet pan, otherwise this will be a disaster, the cake batter will overflow the pan or be too thin.
- 1 1/2 cups dairy-free milk
- 2 t. cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 Tablespoon clear vanilla extract
1/4 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 1/4 sheet pan with parchment paper, it’s ok if the paper hangs over the edge. It will help you lift the cake out later.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well, don’t overbeat though.
- Fold in half the sprinkles, and blend carefully. Don’t whisk, or you’ll break the sprinkles.
- Pour the cake batter into the sheet pan, and top with the remaining 2 T. of sprinkles.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the top is browned and set.
- Lift out of the pan with the parchment, let it cool on a rack. If you’re not going to assemble the whole cake soon, just freeze the whole slab of cake.
I used grapeseed oil because I’d already purchased it for the Cake Crumbs, but you can use canola oil or another vegetable oil if you’d like.
I use Betty Crocker Rainbow Sprinkles, they come in a big tub.
I’ve stopped spending money on pure vanilla extract. It’s terribly expensive, and taste tests by food snobs even prove you can’t tell the difference between vanilla extract and vanilla flavoring in baked goods. I have some fancy vanilla beans I use for marmalade, but I bought a huge jug of McCormick’s clear vanilla extract for baking. But that’s just me. You can do what you want.
I used kosher salt in this recipe, specifically Diamond Crystal salt that I buy in big boxes at the restaurant food supply store. If you’re using regular table salt, you might want to use 1/2 teaspoon instead.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy-free confetti cake, vegan confetti cake