This multigrain bread is dairy-free, egg-free, and nut-free. The whole grains are softened in a soaker method, so the grains melt into the bread.
Whole Grain Soak:
- 1/4 cup steel-cut oats (like McCanns)
- 1/4 cup cracked wheat
- 1/4 cup millet
- 1 cup boiling water
- Place the steel cut oats, wheat and millet in a bowl (I use a 2 cup Pyrex) and pour boiling water on top. Allow to sit and soak until water is room temp.
- Meanwhile, measure the rest of the ingredients into a bowl of a stand mixer. Start out with 4 cups of bread flour, you will add more later.
- Add the soaked and cooled grains to the big bowl and start kneading. Add more flour if the dough seems particularly sticky. I usually need up add up to 1 cup of flour at least, depending on how much water is absorbed by the grains. The dough will be soft but not a sticky mess.
- Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap allow to raise at room temp for 1 1/2 hours.
- Divide the dough in 2, shape into loaves and place into greased bread loaf pans.
- Cover with a towel and allow to raise for another hour, until the edges of the dough have reached the edge of the pan.
- Heat oven to 365 and bake for 30-40 minutes, until a thermometer inserted into the loaf reaches 190-200 degrees. Cover loosely with foil if the tops seem to be browning too quickly.
- Remove bread from loaves and allow to cool on a rack before slicing! Enjoy!
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American