The arrival of peppermint stick ice cream in stores is the signal that Christmas has started. When I was a kid, the Schwan’s man would bring peppermint stick ice cream to our small town. Quantities were limited so one family couldn’t buy the truck out and stash it in the deep freeze.
I thought this was just a small town issue until today, in our big city grocery store, I saw a sign on the Hudsonville Peppermint Stick ice cream limiting people to 2 containers. This is serious business.
For better or worse, when you make this at home, there are no limits! This dairy-free and egg-free peppermint stick ice cream is very easy to make. It’s just my basic vanilla ice cream with some crushed candy canes. I add a little peppermint extract to punch up the peppermint, but you can skip it as well.Print
This dairy-free and egg-free peppermint stick ice cream is a traditional holiday treat here, add some hot fudge to the top and it’s heaven.
- 3 cups dairy-free creamer
- 20 regular-sized marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 2-3 candy canes, crushed
- Put the marshmallows in a big microwave safe bowl (I have an 8 cup Pyrex that is perfect for this)
- Heat for 1-2 minutes, until soft and puffy.
- Whisk the soft marshmallows with 1/2 cup creamer until smooth. You may have to return the mixture to the microwave for another minute or so to get the marshmallows to fully melt into the creamer.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of creamer. Whisk until smooth and the marshmallows are all melted.
- Add the peppermint extract.
- Cool the mixture down in the freezer or refrigerator before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn and freeze. I have a Cuisinart that is wonderful.
- At the end of churning, fold the crushed candy canes in to the ice cream, right before transferring to an ice cream freezer container. If you add them too early, they just clog up the ice cream maker’s churning blades.
You can use plain dairy-free creamer, just add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 t. vanilla to the ice cream mix before churning.
If you can’t find any creamer, just use plain dairy-free milk of your choice but add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 T oil, and 1 t. vanilla to the ice cream mix before churning.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy-free ice cream recipe, dairy-free peppermint dessert