This recipe makes two dairy-free pie crusts. You can easily double this recipe and make an extra set to put in the freezer for later.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen shortening chopped (I put 1 cup of shortening in plastic wrap and flatten it down into a disk and freeze, then chop right before using)
- 1/2 cup ice water
- Measure the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and give it a few pulses to mix.
- Add half the shortening and pulse until there are no big pieces at all.
- Add the second half of the shortening and give it 6-8 pulses until the shortening pieces are small, about the size of a pea.
- Sprinkle the ice water on top and use a knife to gently swirl the water around the dough in food processor bowl.
- Pulse another 6-8 times until the crumbly dough comes together, but don’t overdo it.
- Dump the dough out onto the counter, divide into two pieces.
- Form into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze.
- Keep repeating this process until you’ve made 6-8 pie crusts. Just do it. Your kitchen is already a mess. You’ll be thankful later.
I tend to use butter-flavored Crisco for my pie crusts. The butter flavor is dairy-free, and the color is nice!
Keywords: dairy-free pie crust recipe, vegan pie crust recipe, old fashioned pie crust