This is my basic dairy-free and egg-free sugar cookie dough with royal icing. The decorations look difficult, but they’re really easy and fun to accomplish!
- ½ cup shortening (I love Spectrum Palm Oil Shortening)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¼ cup dairy-free milk + 1T cider vinegar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ t. baking soda
- ¼ t. salt
- 1T. vanilla
- ⅛ t. lemon oil (not extract, I use LorAnn)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 T. corn syrup
- 2–3 T. water
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and shortening together until smooth, add in the thickened dairy-free milk and beat until smooth again.
- Add the vanilla, lemon oil or whatever spices/flavorings you are using and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients: soda, salt and flour. Mix until everything comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, shape into a big disk and freeze for ½ hour.
- Roll to ¼ inch thickness and cut out as you like.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheets at 350. 10 minutes will give you soft cookies (they may seem barely baked, but they’ll firm up when cooled), 14-16 minutes will give you golden brown edges and they’ll be crispy. Cool completely before icing.
- Mix the icing ingredients together, getting all the lumps out. Add enough water for the proper thickness. I outline first, and flood with color. I use a toothpick or a small spoon to spread the icing around. Hearts are made by making little dots and dragging a clean toothpick through the wet icing. Here’s a great tutorial on flooding if you’re new to this stuff.
I used Silk Coconut Milk and Spectrum Palm Oil Shortening and my milk and butter substitutes today. Read my posts on Dairy-Free Milk Alternatives and Dairy-Free Butter Alternatives if you need ideas on products to use.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free sugar cookies, egg free sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies