If you’re new to crust making, see my post Dairy Free Pie Crust 101 for more detailed instructions.
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups frozen & chopped shortening (I put 1 1/2 cups of shortening in plastic wrap and flatten it down into a disk and freeze, then chop right before using)
- 3/4 cups ice water
- Measure the flour and salt into the bowl of a food processor and give it a few pulses to mix.
- Add half the shortening and pulse until there are no big pieces at all.
- Add the second half of the shortening and give it 6-8 pulses until the shortening pieces are small, about the size of a pea.
- Sprinkle the ice water on top and use a knife to gently swirl the water around the dough in food processor bowl.
- Pulse another 6-8 times until the crumbly dough comes together, but don’t overdo it.
- Dump the dough out onto the counter, divide into two pieces.
- Form into two disks, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to an hour.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American