This is my basic dairy-free egg-free sugar cookie recipe with a simple egg-free royal icing.
- In a large bowl with a hand mixer, cream the sugar and shortening together until smooth.
- Add in the thickened dairy-free milk and beat until smooth again.
- Add the vanilla, lemon oil or whatever spices/flavorings you are using and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt. Mix until everything comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, shape into a big disk and freeze for 1/2 hour.
- Roll to 1/4 inch thickness and cut out as you like.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheets at 350. 10 minutes will give you soft cookies (they may seem barely baked, but they’ll firm up when cooled), 14-16 minutes will give you golden brown edges and they’ll be crispy.Cool completely before icing.
- Mix the icing ingredients together, getting all the lumps out. Add enough water for the proper thickness. I make my outline colors (like black in this case) thicker, and then dry completely before flooding with a thinned down “fill” color (like silver in this case). Here’s a great tutorial on flooding if you’re new to this stuff.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free sugar cookies, camper cookies, airstream cookies, vegan sugar cookies