I love caramel corn, especially homemade caramel corn. As a kid, I loved the suprise in the Cracker Jack box even more than finding one of the rare peanuts. The surprise itself was usually forgetable…a sticker or a temporary tatoo…but the process of finding it was so much fun.
I look forward to the day my kids can bury their fists into a steaming bag of Garrett’s Popcorn, butter and sugar dripping down their arms and chins…but until then, we’ll make some pretty good stuff at home, complete with the surprise!
Oven Baked Caramel Corn
- Cook Time: 1 1/2 hrs
- Total Time: 1 1/2 hrs
- 1 cup of popcorn kernels, air popped or stove popped
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) dairy-free margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 250.
- Pop the popcorn and divide among two sheet pans. Or, if you’re smart and want to say fewer bad words in the kitchen, dump it all in a disposable roasting pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, corn syrup, salt and margarine to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and boil for 5 minutes without stirring much. Remove from heat and add vanilla, baking soda and optional cinnamon. The mixture should bubble and become frothy.
- Dump over the popcorn and mix around as best you can. Don’t worry about coating the popcorn perfectly, it will get mixed around during the baking.
- Put into the oven and bake for 1 hour. Every 15 minutes, take the popcorn out and stir it around for even coating and baking.
- Allow popcorn to cool before storing in a ziplock bag.
- Don’t forget to add the Surprise (or two)!!
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy-free caramel corn, vegan caramel corn
Caramel corn is quite popular in my household too… It never stick around long when I make it! Love the idea of making a prize to go along with it too, just like the "real" thing. 🙂
My son and husband are fans of kettle corn but I really like dark caramel corn like yours. The prize wrappers are awesome! I have to print some up.
I had never made Caramel Corn before due to my son's dairy allergy. This recipe was delicious. I used Earth Balance for my dairy free margarine. Fooled all the kids at our Hallowe'en Party! Thank you! Susan H. @ the food allergy chronicles