This dairy-free and egg-free caramel ice cream recipe has only 3 ingredients: Sugar, Creamer, Salt. It’s pretty amazing.
- 1 cup sugar + 2 T. water
- 1/4 cup water for “stopping” the caramel
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3 cups plain dairy-free creamer
- In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar and 2T. water together and start heating over medium-high heat.
- The sugar will melt and start boiling. Swirl the pan around every so often as the sugar mixture starts boiling. Keep boiling until the sugar syrup starts caramelizing and turning a golden brown. This is tricky. I have stainless pans, and it’s hard to judge caramel color. Sometimes, I take a little spoonful out and drop it on a white plate to see how golden my caramel is. If you overcook the caramel, it’s burnt, and you’ll have to start over.
- Once the caramel is the right color, remove from the heat and set the pan WAY back on your stove. Things are going to get exciting.
- Quickly pour the 1/4 cup of water into the hot caramel mixture and jump back. The carmel is going to freak out, spurt and sputter.
- Once the carmel calms down, bring the pan forward onto low heat and stir until all the hard caramel chunks dissolve into a nice caramel syrup. Add the salt and let the caramel syrup cool down a bit.
- Off the heat, add the dairy-free creamer to the carmel syrup slowly. The caramel may freak out again and form hard caramel chunks, don’t worry. Keep stirring and they will eventually dissolve. Don’t heat the mixture once the creamer has been added. Dairy-free creamer tastes really weird when it’s cooked, so just be patient and stir until the chunks dissolve. You can strain out a few if they won’t dissolve.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker and enjoy! I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker and it’s wonderful.
If you can’t find dairy-free creamer, just use regular dairy-free milk of your choice and add in about 2T oil to the mixture before churning in the ice cream maker. You’ll need that extra fat to keep it “scoopable”. Depending on how sweet your milk is, you might need to add a little extra sugar too, taste the mixture before freezing and add a few tablespoons of sugar if needed.
If you don’t have a dairy allergy, just use half & half instead of dairy-free creamer.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy-free caramel ice cream, vegan caramel ice cream, easy caramel dessert