This homemade Worchestershire sauce is dairy-free, nut-free, and fish-free! It’s perfect for homemade allergy-friendly Chex Mix.
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. ginger
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar (use white or cider vinegar to be gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 T. soy sauce (San-J makes gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 t. tamarind paste
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the spices and stir until they smell toasty, about 1 minute.
- Add the 1 T. olive oil and the shallots, and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add all the other stuff, and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to steep and cool.
- Strain sauce through a fine meshed strainer and store in the refrigerator. I’m not certain, but I suspect…like the bottled stuff, it will last nearly forever.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade worcestershire sauce, vegan worcestershire sauce,