This is a dairy-free and egg-free version of the famous Milk Bar Birthday Cake, it also happens to be vegan. The cake has 4 components that are listed as individual recipes below. Make those 4 components and come back here for instructions on cake assembly. Or, head over to the official Milk Bar Recipe Page for building instructions.
- #1 Birthday Cake
- #2 Birthday Cake Crumbs
- #3 Birthday Cake Frosting
- #4 Birthday Cake Soak
- Using the 6-inch cake cutter, cut the quarter sheet of birthday cake into two 6-inch rounds. The remaining “scraps” will be used to make the bottom cake layer, so don’t eat them all.
- Clean the cake ring, and place it on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Line the inside of the cake ring with a strip of the acetate cake collar.
- Layer the cake scraps inside the ring, press down gently to make a flat even layer.
- Spoon half of the Birthday Cake Soak over the cake layer and let it absorb in.
- Spread 1/5th of the frosting over the cake.
- Sprinkle 1/3 of the cake crumbs, press down.
- Spread another 1/5th of the frosting.
- Top with a cake round and repeat the process: rest of the cake soak, frosting layer, crumbs, frosting layer.
- By now, the cake is reaching near the top of the acetate cake collar, so you’ll have to add another circle of cake collar to increase the height. Just cut another length and tuck it in.
- Add the final cake round and the rest of the frosting. Decorate with remaining cake crumbs.
- Place the whole cake in the freezer for 12 hours to set. It’s ok if you leave it in the freezer for weeks!
- About 3 hours before you plan to serve the cake, remove it from the freezer. Pop it out of the cake ring, and peel off the acetate cake collars. Let it defrost in the fridge for 3 hours or a few days.
If you want to read the official instructions, head over to the official Milk Bar Birthday Cake Recipe site.
This cake is a lot of up-front work, but it can sit in the freezer for weeks before serving, pretty cool.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan birthday cake, dairy-free birthday cake