This dairy-free and egg-free peppermint stick ice cream is a traditional holiday treat here, add some hot fudge to the top and it’s heaven.
- 3 cups dairy-free creamer
- 20 regular-sized marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract (optional)
- 2-3 candy canes, crushed
- Put the marshmallows in a big microwave safe bowl (I have an 8 cup Pyrex that is perfect for this)
- Heat for 1-2 minutes, until soft and puffy.
- Whisk the soft marshmallows with 1/2 cup creamer until smooth. You may have to return the mixture to the microwave for another minute or so to get the marshmallows to fully melt into the creamer.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of creamer. Whisk until smooth and the marshmallows are all melted.
- Add the peppermint extract.
- Cool the mixture down in the freezer or refrigerator before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn and freeze. I have a Cuisinart that is wonderful.
- At the end of churning, fold the crushed candy canes in to the ice cream, right before transferring to an ice cream freezer container. If you add them too early, they just clog up the ice cream maker’s churning blades.
You can use plain dairy-free creamer, just add 1/2 cup sugar and 1 t. vanilla to the ice cream mix before churning.
If you can’t find any creamer, just use plain dairy-free milk of your choice but add 1/2 cup sugar, 2 T oil, and 1 t. vanilla to the ice cream mix before churning.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy-free ice cream recipe, dairy-free peppermint dessert