This recipe has been in my family for at least 30 years, tried and true, and comes from my mom’s recipe file courtesy of Mrs. E. L-J. Somehow rainy days mean homemade pretzels and “pop” around here (that would be “soda” for you non-Midwesterners). With 4 kids within 5 years, I can see how my mom got into doing this to perk up the dreary days. This is super easy, and my girls love it!Print
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 4 cups flour ( I use 3 cups white bread flour and 1 cup whole wheat)
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons yeast
- Mix everything together in a stand mixer with the dough hook until smooth
- Divide into a golf ball sized portions.
- Roll and shape as you like. Brush with water and sprinkle with salt. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Let sit while the oven heats up to 425. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve with honey and mustard!
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade soft pretzels, dairy free pretzels, vegan pretzels
Enjoy with honey mustard!