This dairy-free Dutch Apple Pie bakes perfectly in a parchment bag. This unconventional method keeps the crumble from burning and keeps any drips from burning on the oven floor.
- 1 pie crust, recipe below
- 3 1/2 pounds apples, peeled, cored & thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon applejack, calvados or other brandy (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening or dairy-free margarine, chilled & cut into pieces.
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Roll the pie crust out and put it into a deep dish pie pan, crimp the edges. Place pie plate in the freezer while you make the filling.
- Mix the apple filling up in a microwave safe bowl.
- You don’t have to, but I put the apple filling in the microwave for a few minutes to warm it up and get the juices flowing.
- Pour the apple filling into the pie crust.
- Make the streusel topping by hand or in a food processor, don’t overmix it into a blob, keep it crumbly.
- Top with streusel topping.
- Wrap pie with some parchment paper and staple the edges shut.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet and bake for 1 hour.
- After an hour, you can peek to make sure the pie is done by tearing the parchment back, sometimes it needs a couple minutes longer for it to start bubbling with a golden brown top.
- Category: Pie
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Dutch Apple Pie, Pie Baked In A Bag, Dairy-Free Thanksgiving Recipe