This makes a big sheet pan of apple pie squares. The recipe is loose, because it can be. Just eyeball this and it will work out.
- 1 recipe of Dairy Free Pie crust for Slab Pie (recipe below)
- Apples–10-15 peeled cored and thinly sliced.
- Sugar–about 1 cup
- Cinnamon–1-2 teaspoons
- Vanilla–a few spoonfuls
- Maybe a few splashes of applejack, calvados or other brandy
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Powdered sugar
- Roll out half the dough and press into and up the edges of a 13 x 18 inch jelly roll pan.
- Peel and thinly slice 10-15 apples into the sheet pan. I have a cool peeler-corer-slicer for this task. Add enough apples to fill the pan completely, up to the pan edge.
- Sprinkle cinnamon over the apples, about 1-2 teaspoons to taste.
- Sprinkle sugar over the apples, about 1 cup.
- Sprinkle some vanilla over the apples, 1-2 teaspoons.
- Roll out the second half of the crust, very thinly, and place over the apples. Seal the edges the best you can. Cut steam holes in the top.
- Put the whole pan in the freezer while oven preheats to 375.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling bubbles in the center.
- Make the glaze by mixing enough powdered sugar into the lemon juice to make a drizzly glaze.
- Allow the pie to cool a bit before glazing.
Northern Spy is the worst apple to eat fresh, but the most amazing apple to bake with. If you can find them, this will be heavenly.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: apple pie, thanksgiving, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan