- 1 onion, minced
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- Olive oil
- 2 large cans whole tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Salt, sugar, black pepper, lemon juice to taste
- Saute the onion with olive oil in a medium saucepan until soft. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Blend the whole tomatoes with the sauteed onions and garlic in blender until smooth and creamy.
- Return the pureed soup to the saucepan with a sprig of basil, heat slowly until simmering.
- Add salt, sugar or lemon juice as needed until the soup tastes perfect.
- Remove the sprig of basil before serving. Garnish each bowl with some fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of olive oil.
This isn’t much of a recipe, because canned tomatoes are so variable. Sometimes you need salt, sometimes sugar, sometimes a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten things up. I’ve tried all varieties from the expensive San Marzanos to typical American brands like Hunts and Muir Glen (keeping notes, of course). I like our local Spartan brand whole tomatoes the best, go figure.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade tomato soup, dairy free tomato soup