This rainbow surprise cake is dairy-free and egg-free, it takes a while to bake all the layers, but it’s pretty fun to do.
- 2 cups dairy-free milk (I used Silk Coconut Milk)
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Gel Food Coloring (I use AmeriColor soft gel paste)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl: dairy-free milk, sugar, oil and vanilla.
- Add about 1/2 the liquid into the dry ingredients and beat pretty well. Usually, I don’t beat cakes…but in this case you want every last lump out. If you don’t, you’ll have white flour clumps in your final cake.
- Add the second 1/2 of the liquid and gently fold it in.
- If for some reason, you have some stubborn lumps…just put the batter through a mesh sieve and get the lumps out.
- Using a scale, divide the batter into 6 equal portions. I did this by zeroing out a big empty bowl, add the batter to determine total batter weight. Then divide the total batter weight by 6, and measure out 6 portions in 6 different bowls to color.
- Color up the 6 portions. Gel color works much better than color drops, which don’t have nearly the color options or vibrancy.
- I only have two 8-inch round pans, which works out ok, as all the layers cook quickly. Cut out parchment rounds to fit the pan, and then spray with cooking spray.
- Bake each later for 10-12 minutes, until the center is set.
- Carefully remove the layers to a cooling rack, add a new parchment liner to the pan, re-spray and cook the next set of layers.
- Frost and build the layer cake once all the layers are cooled. I was impatient the first time, and started stacking the warm layers, everything melted and it was a disaster. Oops.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rainbow cake, dairy free rainbow cake, egg free rainbow cake