For the Jam
- Place the rhubarb, sugar & water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook, stirring often, until the rhubarb almost melts into a silky jam.
- Add the vanilla and set the jam aside.
- Jam can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
For the Shortbread Dough
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle blade or a hand mixer with a whisk, cream the shortening with the sugar until creamy and fluffy.
- Add the dairy-free milk and mix again until fluffy.Add the flour mixture and mix until blended.
- Gather the dough up, divide into two balls, wrap in plastic wrap and put in the freezer.
Putting it all together & baking
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Using a box grater, grate one dough ball into the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
- Spread the jam over top.
- Grate the remaining dough ball overtop of the jam.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a rack before cutting and serving, dust heavily with powdered sugar while still warm.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: rhubarb dessert, dairy free rhubarb dessert, vegan rhubarb desset, rhubarb shortbread