These dairy-free and egg-free shortbread cookies come together easily in the food processor, and roll out easily into any shape you’d like!
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup dairy-free margarine
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Splash of dairy-free milk or water (if dough is too crumbly)
- Add all the dry ingredients into a food processor and blend well.
- Cut the shortening and margarine into chunks and process until crumbly.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and continue to process.
- If the margarine and shortening are well mixed in, and the dough is still really crumbly, add a splash of liquid (water, soymilk, coconut milk) and give it a few more pulses. A nice smooth dough should develop.
- Gather the dough up and wrap in plastic wrap, shape into a disk and chill in the freezer while you find your cookie cutters.
- Roll out to 1/4 inch thick, cut out cookies in whatever shape you want, sprinkle with sugar if you want.
- Place the cookies on a parchment lined cookie sheet and put the cookie pan in the freezer to chill again while the over preheats to 350.
- Bake at 350 until the cookies are just barely golden, 8-10 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your cookies.
See my posts on Choosing the Perfect Dairy-Free Milk Alternatives, and Dairy-Free Butter Alternatives if you need sources for safe ingredients.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free shortbread cookie, dairy free sugar cookie, vegan cutout cookie