This is my easy basic dairy-free egg-free chocolate cake, suitable for all sorts of occasions and shapes.
- Preheat oven to 350. Prepare your pans by lining with parchment paper cut to the shape of the pan, and cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, soda, baking powder and salt. My cocoa and baking soda are always lumpy, so I sift mine into the bowl through a mesh strainer to get out the lumps.
- Whisk dairy-free milk of your choice and vinegar together in a medium bowl and let thicken. Then add the sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix well.
- Carefully dump and mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Just blend until most of the lumps are out. Don’t beat the heck out of it.
- Pour batter into your prepared pans and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the center is set and you can poke a knife into the center and it comes out clean. Let the cake rest for a few minutes before turning over and cooling on a rack. Cool completely before frosting.
My general routine when creating a “shaped cake”, is to make a ton of cake in pans that close to the shape of the cake I’m making. I build a “cake blob”: stacking the cake with layers of frosting in between, until it’s as tall as I want. Then I get my bread knife out and start shaving off cake to sculpt it into the final cake shape before covering in fondant. The left-over cake bits are great for snacking, rolling into cake pops, or mixing into ice cream.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American