Whatever you do, don’t add pretzels and chocolate chips to your dairy-free rice krispie treats, because it’s amazing. Chocolate Pretzel Rice Krispie treats. Who knew? It’s like the time I added bacon to my homemade guacamole, and now I’m ruined. You won’t be able to stop and there’s no going back.
I have all these basic ingredients in my house, all the time. So after the first batch…I made made 3 more. I shared the idea with a co-worker…and a double batch showed up in the office a week later.
This is exactly the quick-dessert-in-a-pan I need in this crazy month of school with all the parties, and field trips, and sporting events, and concerts.
Do I really need to give you a recipe? Probably not.
If you’re like me, with the right margarine you can make dairy-free rice krispie treats in your sleep. You don’t need a recipe to make chocolate pretzel rice krispie treats, the title tells you everything!
You can eyeball this (half & half pretzel to cereal ratio and some chocolate) with whatever recipe you’re using…from the back of the cereal box or the bag of marshmallows…and it will work out just fine.
But now that my kids are reading and cooking from Speedbump Kitchen, I have to be more careful. I can’t just tell them to wing it. I’ll write it down for them to avoid any disasters in my own kitchen.
So easy and so good.Print
Dairy-free Rice Krispies Treats are kicked up a notch to Chocolate Pretzel Rice Krispie Treats. This sweet-salty-chocolatey riff on the classic is so easy. It doesn’t take any longer than the classic and it’s so good.
- 3 T. dairy-free margarine
- 1 10-oz bag marshmallows
- 3 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3 cups broken-up pretzels
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or 4 ounces of chopped chocolate bar (I used an Enjoy Life Dark chocolate bar today).
- Flaky salt
- Prepare a square baking pan, 9 x 9 or 8 x 8, doesn’t matter. Glass, Pyrex, metal, all ok. Spray with cooking spray. My cake pan is a nice Sur La Table non-stick pan, and I don’t want to cut the treats in the pan and ruin the coating. So I make a “Parchment Belt” to lift the square out when cool. I fold a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom, letting the edges hang over the sides. That way I can lift the block of treats out before cutting.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, heat the margarine and marshmallows, 30 seconds at a time, until they melt. Stir until smooth, heating more as needed to get all the lumps out.
- Add the cereal and pretzels and stir until coated well.
- Allow mixture to cool slightly before adding the chocolate.
- Sprinkle half the chocolate over the marshmallow-cereal mixture, mix quickly so it doesn’t melt everywhere, and then dump into the pan. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate on top and press down into the pan.
- Sprinkle with some flaky salt, cool, cut and serve.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free dessert, no bake dessert, rice krispy treats