Happy Valentine’s Day!
Funny how the one year I don’t have to make a Valentine’s Day treat for school…I actually want to make one! These were a fun diversion from my weekend of being on call, answering lots and lots of mommy calls about fever and flu and flu and fever.
And since I don’t have to send these to school, I get cookies for breakfast and afternoon coffee! Enjoy!Print
This is my basic dairy-free and egg-free sugar cookie dough with royal icing. The decorations look difficult, but they’re really easy and fun to accomplish!
- In a large bowl, cream the sugar and shortening together until smooth, add in the thickened dairy-free milk and beat until smooth again.
- Add the vanilla, lemon oil or whatever spices/flavorings you are using and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients: soda, salt and flour. Mix until everything comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap, shape into a big disk and freeze for ½ hour.
- Roll to ¼ inch thickness and cut out as you like.
- Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheets at 350. 10 minutes will give you soft cookies (they may seem barely baked, but they’ll firm up when cooled), 14-16 minutes will give you golden brown edges and they’ll be crispy. Cool completely before icing.
- Mix the icing ingredients together, getting all the lumps out. Add enough water for the proper thickness. I outline first, and flood with color. I use a toothpick or a small spoon to spread the icing around. Hearts are made by making little dots and dragging a clean toothpick through the wet icing. Here’s a great tutorial on flooding if you’re new to this stuff.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free sugar cookies, egg free sugar cookies, vegan sugar cookies
Han Solo toothpick optional, but helpful.