It’s County Fair time here in Michigan! Fair food is something I’ve always wanted to share with my kids: neon red candy apples, giant caramel apples resting in a bed of nuts, bright yellow popcorn, hot roasted cinnamon almonds, elephant ears, corn dogs and funnel cakes. It turns out, dairy and egg-free funnel cakes are a snap to make…maybe too easy. I should know. We’ve devoured 3 batches in the past 24 hours and I’m really thankful I don’t have to go on a Tilt-a-Whirl anytime soon. Enjoy!Print
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a medium bowl that has a nice pouring spout.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
- Dump the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk until the lumps are out. Set aside while heating up the oil.
- Pour oil into large, heavy pan, about 2 inches deep. Heat the oil to 375.
- For making the funnel cakes, you can use an actual funnel or improvise with a plastic squirt bottle, a pastry bag or a ziplock with a corner cut off.
- Whatever method you use, making the cakes is pretty simple…just start squiggling the batter into the hot oil and see what happens. Let cook until golden brown and give the whole thing a flip with tongs.
- Allow to drain on paper towels, sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy them hot! Makes 8-10.