It’s March in Michigan, a time when gray skies & vitamin D deficiency induce a mild psychosis, the moral compass fails and you struggle with basic questions like:
Should I go running or take a nap?
Should I make dinner or create a new Pinterest board?
In July, when the days are long and the sun is shining…it all seems so black and white. Right now, it’s just gray… “I’ll regret both Chubby Hubby and P90X tomorrow morning, so why pick the one I’ll regret NOW?!”
Well, clearly the Ben & Jerry’s pint has been winning lately, so it’s no surprise the kids asked for a safe version of my all-time favorite flavor.
For you poor souls who haven’t fallen off the bandwagon, Chubby Hubby is a heavenly blend of vanilla ice cream chock full of chocolate-covered peanut butter-filled pretzels. I swear they space the pretzel chunks out just enough so you find one…just as you’re promising to stop eating…and then of course, you have to dig it out. Sweet, salty, crunchy, chocolate. Sigh.
Amazingly, the kids’ version is pretty doggone close in flavor. Shocking, actually.
I let the kids build the “faux-filled” pretzels. Basically, you cover a row of prezels with soy butter (or sunflower), freeze them and then pour melted chocolate overtop.
I always make extra pretzels with the intention of freezing and using for another batch of ice cream…but the kids find that ziplock in the freezer and devour the extras!Print
This dairy-free, egg-free, and peanut-free version of the Ben & Jerry’s classic flavor…is a pretty bang-on replica. Try it!
- Line the pretzel rods up on a small parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Spread the soy butter overtop, and squish inbetween the pretzels.
- Freeze until firm.
- Pour 1/2 the melted chocolate overtop of the whole frozen pretzel block.
- Return to freezer until chocolate hardens, then flip the block over and pour the rest of the chocolate over the other side of the pretzel block.
- Freeze again and then chop into pieces for the ice cream.
- Put the marshmallows in a big microwave safe bowl (I have an 8 cup Pyrex that is perfect for this)
- Heat for 1-2 minutes, until soft and puffy.
- Whisk the soft marshmallows with 1/2 cup dairy-free creamer until smooth. You may have to return the mixture to the microwave for another minute or so to get the marshmallows to fully melt into the creamer.
- Add the remaining 2 1/2 cups of creamer. Whisk until smooth and the marshmallows are all melted.
- Cool the mixture down in the freezer or refrigerator before pouring into an ice cream maker to churn. I have a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker that is wonderful.
- After the vanilla ice cream has churned and frozen, add in 1 1/2 cups of chopped pretzel mixture into the ice cream. Stir it around with a spoon.
- Transfer the to an ice cream freezer container to fully freeze.
You can use plain dairy-free creamer, just add 1/3 cup sugar and 1 t. vanilla to the ice cream mix before churning. If you can’t find any creamer, just use regular dairy-free milk of your choice, but add 1/3 cup sugar, 2 T. oil and 1t. vanilla to the mix before churning.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Freezer
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free chubby hubby, peanut free chubby hubby, chubby hubby copycat recipe