We finally got some snow here in the Midwest, pretty much our first real snow and it’s mid-January! The kids also had their first snow day, which is always fun. The delicate snow-covered trees got me thinking about pizzelles, which are light little Italian cookies that look a lot like snowflakes and go perfect with hot cocoa after playing in the snow.
This is one of those recipes that requires a new little gadget, a pizzelle press (ok, twist my arm). My mom passed along a vintage krumkake maker, a seriously troublesome device that presses batter and is held over a hot burner to bake. After burning the heck out of my fingers and cookies, saying too many bad words cursing the hearty and stoic Norwegians, I broke down and bought an electric machine. It works like a charm, and my cookies are beautiful.
This batter is easiest to make in a food processor, but can be mixed by hand. Regular flour works as well as cake flour, but the cookies are far lighter with cake flour. Now I’ve opened up a whole new world of fun cookies to explore: next up cannelloni, stroopwafel, krumkake…Print
These pizzelle cookies are egg-free and dairy-free. They also happen to be vegan. Both the chocolate and vanilla cookie batters use the same method!
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour (I use Swan’s Down Cake Flour)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup melted dairy-free margarine
- 3/4 cup dairy-free milk substitute (I used Silk Pure Coconut, but soy or rice would work)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Same method for both type of batter!
- In a food processor, mix the dry ingredients together: flour, powdered sugar, salt and cocoa (if making chocolate).
- Add the wet ingredients: melted margarine, coconut milk, vanilla. Pulse until smooth.
- Heat up the pizzelle press and bake according to the manufacturers instructions. I sprayed the press with cooking oil first, then used a generous tablespoon of batter and baked for about a minute.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: egg free pizzelle recipe, vegan pizzelle recipe, dairy free pizzelle recipe
It’s impossible not to grin with all this snow!
The neighborhood crew inside warming up and drying off!