We have some banana connoisseurs around here with a very narrow range for banana tolerance: too green and your mouth goes dry and too ripe and they are declared mushy. So as a result, we have quite a few freezer bags full of peeled, overripe bananas destined to be reborn as smoothies or baked goods.
This is our standard whole wheat banana muffin recipe, I usually make it without any frosting or fun, but today I was feeling nice and they became cupcakes. I have a feeling I may have ruined things, because the kids may balk at plain muffins now that they know what is possible!
Laffy Taffy and cocoa decorations! I just heated the candy briefly in the microwave to soften, then shaped into bananas. Much better tasting than fondant, and a lot easier!Print
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk, I used Coconut Silk.
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1/2 t. salt
- Blend the top set of ingredients in a blender, or a medium bowl with an immersion blender until smooth.
- Sift the bottom set of ingredients into a large bowl.
- Pour the blended wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix until everything is blended.
- Scoop into muffin tins lined with papers, and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until you start smelling banana muffins baking and the centers are springy and dry. (The great thing about egg and dairy free muffins is that they are usually ready when you can smell them baking!)
- Take out of the pan and let cool on a rack.
Makes a little over a dozen regular muffins, or enough for a dozen regular plus a dozen mini muffins if you’d like
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free banana muffins, vegan banana muffins, banana cupcakes
- With a hand mixer blend the margarine and shortening together until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
- Add vanilla and enough soymilk to reach the fluffiness you like.
Keywords: dairy free frosting, vegan frosting, plant based frosting