A safe granola bar is not easy, or cheap, to come by. When we went to Disney last year, I splurged on a whole box of goodies from peanutfreeplanet.com and some NoNuttin granola bars were in the mix. The kids loved them, but at $1.50 a bar, it was a bit much for a casual treat. After a lot of trial and error, I came up with this chewy granola bar recipe that is wheat-free, egg-free, dairy-free and nut-free. And for my little buddy Kierra, they can be corn-free as well! This year, we’ll pack these for Disney and save the money for some glass slippers instead.
This recipe uses brown rice syrup rather than corn syrup. I’m pretty sure when it comes down to it, there really aren’t any major health benefits to brown rice syrup over corn syrup. Sugar is sugar. I think it just makes me feel better using brown rice syrup, and it gets rid of one more allergen! As far as cost, around here it runs about $5 for a jar of Lundberg syrup and you can get two batches out of one jar (7 cents per bar for sweetener).
You can mix up the flavors, we live in cherry country here in Michigan, so dried cherries are not hard to come by, but other dried fruits would be great. For chocolate, I use the dark chocolate chunks from NoNuttin, they are seriously chocolaty, not really sweet at all and perfect with the sweet cherries. The coconut is something I’m sneaking in. Coconut allergies are apparently pretty uncommon, my kids just refuse it on the basis of texture. Elective refusal of a good-fat item is simply not an option around here, so I sneak the coconut in. I use regular Baker’s sweetened coconut, but I chop it down fine in the food processor.
These dairy-free and egg-free granola bars are also nut-free, gluten-free, corn-free and vegan. They pack well for roadtrips and hikes!
- 1 cup shredded coconut, chopped fine if desired.
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 2 cups quick oats
- 2 cups rice krispies cereal
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 1/2 jar Lundberg brown rice syrup (3/4 cup or so)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 T. oil (avocado, grapeseed, soy)
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup safe chocolate chips
- Extras (flax seed, chia seeds, if you can use these)
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a big mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat the brown rice syrup and salt until boiling and boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add the oil and vanilla.
- Pour the heated syrup over the dry ingredients and mix well until everything is coated.
- Dump into a foil or parchment lined pan and spread it out to cool, but don’t press it down yet. I use a 1/4 sheet pan, but a 9 x 13 casserole pan will work too.
- When the mixture has cooled a bit, sprinkle the chocolate chips on top and press everything down hard.
- Let the granola block cool and firm up before cutting into bars and wrapping.
For chocolate, I use Enjoy Life or Divvies.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixed
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dairy free granola bars, vegan granola bars, nut free granola bars