I’ve been doing this allergy thing for over a decade now, but every once a while, I’m surprised by how difficult the simple things can be. I wanted to make Chex Mix for the kids, and figured I’d just remove the nuts and call it good: until I ran into the Worcerstershire Sauce roadblock.
Apparently, the stuff has fish in it…anchovies to be exact. I looked at a half dozen varieties and they all have fish. Chex Mix just doesn’t taste the same without it…I tried.
Thankfully, there are a lot of crazy people in the world these days who choose to cook intensely, and homemade Worcestershire Sauce recipes are pretty easy to come by. This one is a safe adaptation of the America’s Test Kitchen’s version.
The only really odd ingredient is the tamarind paste. You can buy tamarind paste, but I made mine a while back out of a block of “wet tamarind”, which was the only thing I could find around here. I suppose you could skip it, but it’s what gives it the tart flavor, and fun stuff to keep on hand for homemade Pad Thai.Print
This homemade Worchestershire sauce is dairy-free, nut-free, and fish-free! It’s perfect for homemade allergy-friendly Chex Mix.
- 1/2 t. pepper
- 1/2 t. ginger
- 1/4 t. cinnamon
- 1/4 t. cloves
- 1/4 t. onion powder
- 1/8 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 shallot or 1/2 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup malt vinegar (use white or cider vinegar to be gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 T. soy sauce (San-J makes gluten-free)
- 1 1/2 t. tamarind paste
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the spices and stir until they smell toasty, about 1 minute.
- Add the 1 T. olive oil and the shallots, and saute for a few minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Add all the other stuff, and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to steep and cool.
- Strain sauce through a fine meshed strainer and store in the refrigerator. I’m not certain, but I suspect…like the bottled stuff, it will last nearly forever.
- Category: Sauce
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade worcestershire sauce, vegan worcestershire sauce,