It’s that awesome time of year when piles of zucchini, squash and tomatoes show up on the lunchroom table at work, free to a good home. I have a tiny urban garden, so rambling zucchini plants are a space luxury I can’t afford right now.
Thankfully, I have country co-workers who supply me with these beauties. I’ve already made some standard zucchini bread, and had one last lucky zucchini destined for this chocolate cake.
I honestly can’t imagine the nutrients gained in zucchini could outweigh the chocolate issues this recipe provides. But if it makes you feel better knowing there are veggies in this cake…great. For me, I just think it’s amazing. The kids say it’s magic.
- 2½ cups flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. baking powder
- ½ t. salt
- ¼ t. cinnamon
- ⅛ t. cloves
- ¾ cups dairy-free milk (See Full Post on Milk Options Here)
- 1 t. vinegar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 stick dairy-free margarine (I use Fleischmann's Unsalted Margarine)
- 1¾ cups sugar
- ½ cup oil
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- ½ cup safe chocolate chips (I use Divvies)
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix the soymilk, vinegar and vanilla together in a small bowl to thicken.
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until fluffy, add the oil and thickened soymilk. Beat well.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and blend gently with a spatula. Don't beat.
- Once things are nearly blended together, add the zucchini and chocolate chips. Blend those guys in.
- Scoop into a 9 x 13 pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out pretty clean.
- Cool before adding frosting.
- ½ stick dairy-free margarine
- 2 T. cocoa powder
- 3 T. dairy-free milk
- ½ t. vanilla
- 1¾ cup powdered sugar
- In a medium saucepan, bring the margarine, cocoa, soymilk, and vanilla to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the powdered sugar and whisk until all the sugar is blended in.
- Pour over top of the nearly cooled chocolate cake.